Saturday, June 04, 2005

"Make good choices"

I was thinking about what I am teaching my children. This is something of which I am constantly aware. I spend a day sitting on my bed reading or on the computer or taking care of the baby or whatever and I wonder how that makes them feel. I don't close the door anymore, I only did that when I was hurting somehow or felt I was shielding them from hurting. Anyways, I remember when I was a child, my mom would come home from work so exhausted and she would hole up in her room and I thought it was about me. Even worse was that she would let my older brother in sometimes and they would talk. I didn't belong in there. Now I get it but then I didn't and I wonder if my kids do. I'm much better (read: healthier) than I have been and I am much more interactive than I used to be. Everyone compliments me on how I've raised my children, they are energetic, polite, happy, well adjusted, smart children. Sometimes though, sometimes I think they just came to me that way. That they have more to do with that than I do. I love them with all my heart but I guess the point of all of this is that I feel like I should always be doing more and I AM doing more now. I hope it's enough. I got to thinking about this because Bart and I were discussing what I hope to pass on to my children and I know the answer to that. It is "make good choices", above all else. He then pointed out that yes, that was important but we have to also teach them what a good choice is. Then I wondered if I have done enough of that... Well, at least it's not too late.

1 comment:

Stacia said...

Bart is right that it's not just as simple as making good choices because that means different things for different people. But, I know you and Bart and I am positive that you have taught your children what good choices actually are. And while you did get lucky with your kids, it's still mostly you!